Monday, March 31, 2014

The Blob

Greed. It isn’t a word we hear much today. Sure, there is the occasional, “He is greedy,” or “She is just being greedy.” But, apart from the occasional insult or disparaging remark, greed seems to be absent from our vocabulary. This is surprising in light of how prevalent the discussion of greed once was. Greed was once one of the big seven, the seven deadly sins that is. There was a time when people viewed greed as one of the biggies. Greed, along with its companions wrath, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony, stood behind all that was wrong with humanity and the world. Get caught up in one of these and, well. . .let’s just say it wasn’t going to go well for you.

Fast forward to the twenty-first century and greed has all but vanished, but where did it go? Did greed get tired of its bad rap and pack up for more welcoming parts? Did all the bad press hurt greed’s feelings and it decided to take its toys and go home? Did greed live in the Northeast, and get super tired of the never-ending winter and move to a warmer climate? Where did greed go?

It’s a great question. If it is really as dangerous as the Church once believed, don’t you think we ought to find out? Let’s do a little digging. What exactly is greed? Simply put, greed is the desire to possess more than one has need. Wait. Let’s go back and say that again. Simply put, greed is the desire to possess more than one has need. There it was again. Let’s try it once more in slow motion. S-i-m-p-l-y p-u-t g-r-e-e-d. . .OK. That is annoying. I get it. Greed is the desire for more than I need, and I am a greedy person when I engage in the pursuit of more than I need.

Are you thinking what I am thinking? I am a greedy person.  You are a greedy person. OK. Maybe not the last one. Let’s just stick with me. I am a greedy person. My life is marked with the pursuit of more than I need. This isn’t just any old mark. This is a hallmark, the grand poo-bah of marks that sets me off as a high-achiever, a go-getter, a person who knows what he wants and wants what he gets. This is the driving force behind all that I do and all that I possess. Greed hasn’t gone packing. Greed has gone main stream. Greed is cachet, a status symbol, the way things are. We stop being nobodies and start being somebodies so long as we possess greed. Greed says one television is good but having two is better. Greed quips that my iPhone 4s is cool but what I really need is the slickness of the 5s. Greed reminds me that you simply cannot have too many bow ties. I think it might be right on that one! Greed whispers that if I do not have more I will not have enough. Greed is everywhere and in everything, behind me and before me, hiding in plain sight.

But is it really all that bad? I happen to like bow ties and iPhones and my flatscreen. I really do wish I could figure out where to put a second one upstairs. It is so inconvenient to head to the basement to watch television. As far as I am concerned, bow ties and iPhones are pretty awesome. So what’s the problem? Nothing, so long as we are focused on bow ties and iPhones, but my focus really isn’t there. Greed puts my focus on what needs to happen to get there, to get more awesome. I have to work harder. I have to work longer. Maybe I can pick up some extra cash here or there. Greed puts my focus on others. I have but you have more. How could you? I must have at least as much, if not more. For those of you who are wondering, I presently own 18 bow ties. There! The bar has been set!

Greed drives me to work. Greed forces me to compare myself to others. Greed leads me to spend more than I earn. Greed leads me to never be satisfied. And it is my friend? Maybe not, but how do I shed what has become so much a part of me? How do I unburden myself of that which I cannot see? Special glasses? Greed-ometers? A special greed-sensitive ink test? Possibly. But for now, I think I will try a much simpler approach. I will simply begin the process of shedding some of what I have, of intentionally looking greed in the face and saying, “I really do have enough—of everything except bow ties.”

A fellow traveler,

Blake


What’s my next step?

We encourage you to consider engaging in the following as a way of handing off faith in your family.

Practice giving:  In giving, we intentional make room for God by ensuring we do not have “enough” which in turn encourages us to turn to God to care for us. This week, consider talking about the practice of giving as a family. You might consider using the Change for Life bottles as an opportunity to give as a family. If your children have money saved or if they receive an allowance, encourage them to give some of what they have kept for themselves as a means of trusting God to care for them. You might match what they give so that they see you engaging in the practice of giving as well.

We encourage you to consider engaging in the following as a way of deepening your own faith.

Make space for God through giving:  Greed tells us that we need more because we do not have enough which leads us to seek stuff as that which keeps us safe and secure, something  Scripture labels as idolatry. When we give, we intentionally ensure we do not have “enough” so that we might trust God to care for us; that is, giving is the antidote for greed. This week, consider giving up something you feel is necessary. This might be your morning Starbucks routine or your daily lunch out. Give this money away to something that benefits someone else. In the space you have created, seek to trust God to care for you and to be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment