Monday, November 11, 2013

The audacity of faith

Trust is such a slippery word. I think that trust is supposed to mean that I can put my dependence or confidence upon someone or something. I think. At least that is what Mr. Webster tells me. I am not so sure my experience matches with Mr. Webster’s definition. Trust is a whole lot more elusive, particularly when it comes to the experience of brokenness. In what am I supposed to put my confidence when life is shattered? Upon whom and upon what am I supposed to depend when what once was whole has broken?

Trust implies that something solid exists, something upon which I can lean in my time of weakness. Trust suggests that someone will come through for me, that someone has my best interests in mind. You see, this is exactly where the problem lies. In my brokenness I have none of these. The very reason I am broken is because what was solid gave way, and those whom I thought were for me turned against me. Sure, trust is easy when life is whole, but doubt seems a whole lot more plausible as I sift among the pieces of what was once whole.

In my doubt I am afraid. I am afraid of what is, of what is to come. Doubt whispers that nothing is solid and no one is constant. Doubt holds my hand, warning me against moving forward for nothing is dependable. I cannot cross the street of life. I might get run over by the next speeding car which fails to yield for this wounded pedestrian in the crosswalk. It simply is not safe to venture out; rather, it is safer to hunker down. Yes, staying put, sitting among the pieces of what was is much safer, for in sitting with the pieces I do not have to experience any more brokenness. But, then again,  I don’t get to experience anything other than my brokenness.

Trust is difficult because among the pieces there is doubt, but doubt is not getting me anywhere. Doubt keeps my experience the same, and to be honest, I hate this experience. Why would I stay in it? Trust offers a way forward. If I trust that something solid does exist, that someone really does have my best interests at heart, I can stand up from among my shattered pieces. With trust, I can step forward once more into the crosswalk of life with the hope I will not be stepping into the crosshairs. With trust I rise out of my brokenness. With trust, I move forward, not with fullness but emptiness: empty hands held outward, trembling hands of want and need, empty hands that are able once more to be filled.

A fellow traveler,

Blake


What’s my next step?

We encourage you to consider engaging in the following as a way of handing off faith in your family.

Memorize Psalm 23:  Psalm 23 is a beautiful psalm that reminds us of God’s trustworthy character and actions on our behalf. This week, consider leading your child to memorize this psalm. You might use bedtime prayers as a time to work on memorizing this psalm one verse at a time. As your child memorizes each verse, talk about how you have experienced the truth of that verse in your own life.

We encourage you to consider engaging in the following as a way of deepening your own faith.

Meditate on Psalm 23:  Life is difficult but God is with us in the midst of difficult and painful situations. This week, consider memorizing and meditating on Psalm 23, a psalm that beautifully states that we have a trustworthy God with us in the midst of difficult circumstances. Consider making this psalm or portions of this psalm a part of your daily routine. You might meditate on a phrase as you drive to work by mulling it over in your heart, or you might pray this psalm at regular points through the day. Whatever approach you take, allow this psalm to direct you to the truth of who God is and where he is in the midst of suffering.

1 comment: